Friday, July 09, 2004

Does my scooter pay off?

Now that I've owned the scooter for about a month, I've been thinking whether buying the scooter actually was a wise decision.

To be able to compare to any other alternatives, let me first describe my situation. I use the scooter to commute to work, about 20 miles each day total back and forth. My alternatives would then be to a) not buy the scooter and use public transportation, b) have my wife give me a ride each day or c) buy a car for the commute.

Looking at these options, a) is out of the question, even though it would probably be the cheapest one, since I have to take 2 buses, and the combined ride takes about one and a half hour!

Option b) is not good for several reasons, the main one being that it would be a total waste of time for my wife, and expensive too, since it would mean double the milage each day.

So I'm down to option c) as an alternative to my scooter purchase. I still haven't answered the question whether the scooter purchase will pay off, but at least I have an alternative scenario to compare to. More to come on this subject...

3 comments:

Donna said...

Answer: It doesn't have to pay off - it's fun.

Teresa said...

Never rethink a scooter purchase. Never.

Lila said...

I can relate, Lime Green. I just bought a scooter, and I ask myself: Does this make sense? But you know... it will pay for itself in a few years, because of gas savings. And as Donna points out, who cares? It's so fun!