Friday, December 05, 2008

About... to... fall... asleep

[ image source ]

Today was one of those days. I just kept almost falling asleep in front of my computer. Very unproductive. So what do you do when you're just so tired and not in the mood to do any work? I've never used this before, but a long time ago I bought the Observation Deck just for fun. It's a tool for writers who have a block and need some nudging. And I needed some serious nudging.

I was working on some ideas for products that we should look into developing for 2009, and I really wanted to get the draft out before the end of the day. So I pulled out the deck and got "Be Specific." So that's what I did. And it worked! I did not expect this to help me, but I started to write out very detailed, specific descriptions of how our users might use some of our products and the text just started flowing. I finished the draft and could go home happy that my most important tasks of the day got completed.

Of course the real underlying issue here is that I was just tired. I got home, cooked dinner for my younger daughter and mother-in-law (my wife was at my older daughter's ballet performance, second out of five), got my younger daughter into bed (she's been sick at home the whole week) and then just crashed. Almost fell asleep standing.

And now it's 11:26 PM and I'm wide awake...

- Gummi

No comments: