Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm OmniFocused!


[ source ]

The holidays are here and it's time to review the year that's gone by (too fast as usual) and plan for the upcoming big '09. As part of that, I took a good look at my productivity tools, and decided to finally migrate all my stuff to OmniFocus, including all my projects, tasks, references, etc. It's not perfect, but it's probably the best application I've tried so far for my GTD obsession. And it has a very nice iPhone app too, so it's easy to grab your tasks-to-go.

One thing I noticed when I was migrating is how hard it is to move completely from one system to another. On one hand, it takes a lot of time to move stuff over (maybe there's a market for GTD data migration tools?) so it's tempting to do it in multiple sessions. However, on the other hand, if you don't migrate everything right away, you are using two systems which is probably worse than having any system at all! So I limped along for a few days with almost no control of my life, it was like driving without a steering wheel, felt horrible. But I survived - made me wonder if this whole task-management thing mattered at all. Maybe I was just on a straight highway and didn't need the steering wheel?

Anyway, I'm back on track, and trying to map my behavior to this new tool (for example, my daily list of tasks is now the tasks that I flag in OmniFocus - doesn't quite accomplish the same results, but also has some integrity benefits since I have to choose from tasks that are on my list of things to do) but net-net I'm pretty pleased with it.

We also got a new puppy for the girls. Turns out that having a puppy does not increase your productivity, but does make everyone happier. How does that fit into my productivity equation? :)

- Gummi

No comments: